First Surveyed in 1824.
The Nerriga area was the habitat of the Wandandian tribe.
Research on the exploration of the Nerriga area indicates that Surveyor Meehan crossed the Shoalhaven River somewhere in the vicinity of Grassy Gully, a little above the spot reached by him in 1805.
In a letter to the Surveyor General dated 15th July, 1824, Hoddle stated that Nerrigor contained about 3,000 acres of forest land fit for a cattle run.
The first mention of gold in Nerriga must be that made by the Rev. W.B. Clarke in 1860. It is generally believed that gold in the Nerriga district was first discovered at Willie’s Creek in the Parish of Coolumburra.